This morning I typed some instructions up for my brother. He is leaving for college this morning. I thought I would share this with you in case you have any college bound friends or family membeers.
1. You can call if you ever need to no matter the time. As you have found out the last year I am willing to give advice but I realize that you are an adult and will make your own decisions. Like my advice for getting a tattoo is that go some where that is licensed through the state. Make sure you can cover it up with clothing for future employment reasons. If it gets infected go see a medical professional.
2. Money will be tight probably for the next six or seven years. If you need help budgeting or need cheap meal ideas let me know.
3. Avoid Vine street as much as possible. All the maniacs drive on that street.
4. Remember that you are paying tons of money for your classes. You can miss on occasion but do not skip all the time.
5. When it gets to hard remember your teacher and counselor that told you that you were to stupid to go anywhere other than a tech college.
6. Do not come home for a weekend when you have a test Monday.
7. Call safe ride if you get in a situation when your friends leave you somewhere and its late or if you are in a situation where you should not drive. (Deleted the number from here for this post).
8. Laundry hints. If you have to wash reds and want to throw them in with something else I suggest jeans. Cold Cold for these loads- reds, towels, and bedding. Warm Cold for these loads-jeans and darks. Hot Cold for these loads-whites. Use bleach only on whites. I suggest if you want to try and get stains out to use oxy clean or baking soda tabs you can get at Dollar General. These work really good on Wrangler’s work clothes.
9. If you have pick-up problems do not take it to the place at 6th and Vine. They ripped me off.
10. Work while you are down there if you want. If your grades start suffering back off work.
11. There is all type of resources available to help you get good grades. Writing center, some tutoring can be had, study groups you can form. Use them and do not be afraid to ask,
12. I hope you have a great advisor at both of my colleges I got the worse ones in my department. Use them. They are a great resource. If your advisor is not very helpful you will probably have a teacher you love in your department. Ask them for help.
13. Get out of the dorms as soon as you can. They cost tons of money. After a year you should have enough friends who are moving out to find a roommate or roommates to live with off campus and maybe save five thousand a semester in room.
14. Go to sporting events and other free events on campus. Great way to meet people.
15. Try out churches. Just because we were raised Methodist does not mean you have to stay Methodist. When I went to school where you are the Methodist church was way to big for my taste. I went from our church of around twenty on a good day to a church of five hundred in both services. I stayed for a semester and never felt the fellowship we had back home. I searched for a church and found a small one that was a little different than the one back home but nurtured my faith.
16. Try to be safe. I do not want to bail you out of jail or be an Aunt for another four years.
17. Contact home often. Mom is going to want to hear from you a couple times a week. This is hard I know when you have a life. After our sister ripped her heart out she expects more from you and me. You can text me or facebook me. I am fine with just hearing from you on occasion.
18. Be careful of girls who can become stalkers. Wrangler had a girlfriend before me that stalked him for a year and a half after he broke it off with her. It took her hearing from my sister-in-law in a store that she was shopping for boots for Wrangler’s wedding for her to stop. My stalker harassed me really bad for the first three months after I broke it off after dating him like 6 dates. It took him believing that you had my phone. My best friend’s boyfriend now husband telling him to stop harassing her. Changing e-mails. Making my facebook supper secretive in settings for only friends. Yet almost three years after I broke it off I got a message from him on the e-mail created for Wrangler and I. We did not open it the subject was congrats on your marriage but I still love you. I fell apart in Wrangler’s arms. Well come to find out he had a college friend of mine feeding him information. I ended that friendship and have heard nothing else. Wrangler has been great dealing with him since we both had stalkers at the same time.
19. College is a time when I think most people become their true selfs. I sure did. I now wear what I want and as you know that is boots all the time and jeans. I do not really care what people think about that. I stopped trying to fit in and just let myself do the work and I was surprised when people actually liked me. With out Mom’s daily input into your decisions you will grow as a person.
20. Since you have had only one girlfriend do not hurry up and settle in a bad or mediocre relationship to be in one. I did that with the guy who was from out of state but going to school. I should have only dated him for a month or two instead of almost a year. After that I set my standards that a guy had to meet. For example a few are a Christian, does not smoke (triggers my migraines) are just a couple. Date until you find a woman who fits your standards and then try a relationship.
I am wishing you all the luck in your next step in life. I love you and am proud of the man you have become.
AS Mrs. Wrangler